Sunday, March 15, 2009

Diorama

My homework assignment is to take a famous chair and redesign it so it is more ergonomically correct. The chair I chose is the Wassily Chair by Marcel Breuer. Once the changes are decided I had to make a scale model (1"=1') of the chair and then a room setting for it. The chair was originally designed in the 1920's but its clean lines and classic styling makes it feel modern today. The setting I've chosen is a late 1950's international style administration building.
Here is his original chair:

(image courtesy of www.italianclassicsdirect.co.uk)

Here are my supplies:

I changed the angle of the armrests so they are parallel with the seat and 9" above the seat (95th percentile elbow rest height). I've also added lumbar support and raised the back rest to accomodate a 95th percentile males midshoulder height.
The construction process:



In the room setting (I'm planning on adding a side table and magazines and paper work to make it look a little more authentic):

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Looks Awesome...
ps. You are done your sweater! It looks great!

Melissa said...

That chair looks great, guess who is going to be my future decorator.

Justin said...

Me?

way_away said...

Holy crap, it's detailed.

Really impressive stuff, dude, I can't believe you MADE THAT. Awesome!

You should be my designer too =).

Anonymous said...

Find the best online Wassily Chair India from theurbandecor.com.It has different varieties to select from.